Jason's Journal

This is my blog.

Friday, December 17, 2004

Big Moment for Jason

I proposed to Christine on Thursday night. I've been thinking about it for several weeks now. And I was going to get her a ring for Christmas anyway, so I already had the primary prop for the occasion. She said yes by the way.

I barely remember the moment. The days and moments leading up to a proposal offer an extremely fragile and vulnerable time for a young man. I suppose I could have done more prep work and made certain that I knew what the answer would be before asking such a question. But I'm glad that it was a surprise. I'm glad we didn't feel the need to talk about it ahead of time and plan it all out. Deep down (in places that I don't like to talk about at parties), I've always romanticized the concepts of falling in love, getting engaged, and being married. My preconceptions have never been terribly constrained by reality.

Therefore, I had to put myself out there on the emotional ledge a bit. I could have been destroyed if she had said "no." Maybe it's the closeness to disaster that creates an even more meaningful event. In any case, it was a great moment, and one that I'll always cherish.

I think she said "yes" before I was finished with the question. That was extremely helpful for my longevity, because every second inserted in that interval would have taken days off my life.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home